Friday, March 17, 2006

 

Threat within

Yesterday I was watching the ‘face the nation’ programme on CNN IBN. It was about the Red corridor created across India by the naxalites.
As one who has seen naxalite movement from close quarters during late sixties and early seventies (in my formative years), I felt I have something to say on the subject.
The subject is quite large; hence I will deal with it in parts.
The main theme of the program was wheather the naxalite threat has become the biggest security threat in India?
The answer should be ‘No’. The biggest security threat for India today definitely is the terrorism from Religious fundamentalists. However the threat by the naxalite movement is a definite potential threat which need immediate mature sincere handling. This is not a law and order problem to be tackled by police.
Incidentally I was in that part of the country last week and these are the ground realities I am told or observed.
The vast forests of Dandakaranya area are infested by the Maoists.
In cities, people are living a terrorized life with little sympathy for the Maoists.
There is a counter terror activity called ‘Salwa Judum’ supported by police and administration. Practically I found that this is a ploy of administration to make the tribals fight themselves.
I was told that one of the major funding sources of the Maoists is the levy they charge on the forest produce like collection of Tendu leaves etc.
At many places the administration simply abdicated it’s duties and responsibilities and left the poor people to the mercy of the Maoists.
It is a fact that the Maoists or Naxalites have spread over a vast area comprising West Bengal, Bihar, Orissa, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra. Till now the areas affected are forest or remote areas and spread among the tribals. But it only reminds me the days of original naxalite movement which started in tribal areas of Naxalbari and subsequently spread over whole of Bengal and the subsequent violence which wiped out a generation of Bengali youth.Someone truthfully said ‘let’s not forget history’. For me I can only see that the history is being repeated. I will make detail analysis in subsequent postings.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]