Saturday, June 10, 2006

 

Citizen Aamir Khan

Last couple of days, I am seeing a lot of Amir Khan the actor turned activist. I find myself associated with the issues raised. I would not comment on the issue of Narmada oustees or the ban on the film or the act pf hooliganism of a section of political entity. I will restrict myself only on the stand taken by him as a citizen of India as I feel as a citizen of India I identify myself with most of his stands.
1. It is heartening to listen him saying that he has nothing against the people of Gujrat; rather he has only love and respect for them.
- We should not identify the people of Gujarat with the hooligans and goons.
2. On being asked if he feels that the film industry should join him and to show solidarity with him should stop showing all Hindi films in Gujarat, he categorically said no. Rather he definitely would not like to see that type of reaction.
- For which I definitely commend him. In this volatile situation where the society is really divided, there should not be any action to divide the society further. That would have been a precipitative action.
- There should be an approach to isolate these hooligans from the mainstream citizens.
3. This is really heartening to see that here is a person who has the guts to speak out his mind and stand by his conviction. In today’s life, the probity in the life and deeds of public figures has become a rare commodity. We, all the citizens of India should realize; it is our duty to take stand against the unjust.
4. Whether anybody, like Ms. Arundhati Roy or other celebrities, like it or not, the fact is, the whole issue has become a big news after the stand taken by him. It has become a matter of debate. This is big role can and should be played by the celebrities, because they have the capacity to give exposure to an issue. And when the issue is of national interest it becomes a moral duty
5. On the issue of role of media; I commend him for his stand, as really today the media has forgotten its role of being a watchdog, They unnecessary make an issue of a non issue in their pursuit of gathering news. Yes it is a fact that the media gets used by vested interests for their promotion, but the blame should go to the media for becoming the culpable accomplice.
Rather I commend Mr. Khan for using the media in this particular issue for furthering the causes he is expounding.

I am also bringing some other issues:
1. I don’t know whether there were any PR person involved, but I must admit that this is one of the most successful PR work in action I have seen in recent past. Suddenly you see Amir khan in every channel putting his perspective to the audience.
2. I definitely liked the interviews. He came out as a clear, sensitive, concerned, bold person. In all the interviews we could listen what he has to say, rather than what the anchor asked him say (which unfortunately happens in most of the television interviews, where the anchor either guides or provokes the interviewee to say)
3. There was a question by Mr. Rajdeep Sardesai whether the reaction of Gujarat on his stand on Narmada would have been different, if he would not be a Muslim. I don’t know whether deliberately or not, but Khan skirted the issue by stating, he would have done the same if he would be a Hindu of Christian or Sikh.
I believe that the issue is very relevant as definitely the reaction of BJP would have been different if he would be any one else rather than Muslim.
4. I would also like to see he raise his voice on some other issues on which the society is concerned today. One of them is definitely the Reservation Quota. I know he can say that he will only raise his voice on the issues he feels identified with, which I feel is absolutely correct.
But here, it is not the question of only about his feelings. If he wants to see that his voice is heard he has to make the people identify with him. He should realise that his basic aim of raising the issue is to make the general people come out and join him to raise their voice.
One thing I always maintain that, to make the people take us on our face value, we have to build confidence in them. It is our duty to make them have confidence on us. Hence it becomes important for celebrites like him to identify with the issues they are concerned of.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]